Here are a few tips for caring for your hair underneath wigs or weaves.
1. Never leave your hair in cornrows underneath a weave or wig for more than three months. After this time the hair can become matted and actually start to loc. It's a nightmare trying to untangle without causing breakage.
2. Be sure to use a deep conditioning treatment once you take your braids out.
3. Take a break from braids for a couple of weeks before putting in another weave. If you are not happy with your natural hair, purchase a nice wig for a short time. This will change up your look and allow your hair to breath.
4. Before you do your next weave, be sure to oil your scalp thoroughly. There is nothing worse than seeing women walking around digging in their head or even banging it because her scalp is dry and itchy. You've see it! Purchase hair oil with a pointed tip so you can get in between the braids and get to the scalp.
5. Weave can not only change your look without changing your natural hair, but it can also give your hair a break from chemicals and other products that often leads to split ends and breakage.
The next time you see someone beating on their head or scratching their scalp with a pen at work, give them a few pointers - look out for a sista!